Western Global Ambassador Program
Thank you for your interest in the Western Global Ambassador program. The application for Summer 2020 is now closed.
Winter and Summer Terms 2020
This role aims to connect upper year Western students with future prospective and new incoming international students. Western Global Ambassadors will assist the Western International team in promoting Western University and the programs and services available for international students, supporting Western’s international student recruitment goals, easing the stress students may feel about coming to Canada and answering student questions about life at Western and Canada.
Approximately 3-5 hours a week on average. The program runs from February to the end of August.
- Contact and reach out to prospective international students (including both applicants and newly admitted students) by email, within 24 hours of receiving their information, to welcome them to Western and share your experience as an upper-year student at Western.
- Respond to student inquiries in a timely manner by email or online chat.
- Get students excited about coming to study at Western University as international students.
- Provide helpful tips to help ease their transition to Western University and London.
- Help build the confidence of students so that they feel comfortable and confident about moving to Canada and studying at Western University.
- Share your experience about what it’s like to study at Western and what student life is like.
- For services that require staff support and intervention, you will forward student inquiries to your supervisor or refer students to the right service unit or point of contact on campus. The specific scope of information and services provided to students will be discussed in detail during training.
- Submit a profile of yourself for use on the website, social media, emails and other publications.
- Maintain regular contact with your supervisor.
- Complete all required training for the position, including role specific training, Western’s online Health and Safety training, and others as required for your role.
What do we look for?
- Current Western University undergraduate student in good academic standing
- Current Western graduate students are also welcome to apply
- Preferred current or past volunteer experience with Western International, in roles such as Peer Guide, English Conversation Leader, Welcome Team or International Student Services Assistant.
- Must have regular access to a computer and email.
- Excellent written and verbal cross-cultural communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to serving others in an enthusiastic, engaging, non-judgmental manner.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Strong work ethic and sense of responsibility
- Self-directed and able to work under minimum supervision
- Reliable and dependable
- Knowledge of Western International and the programs and services offered
- Knowledge of the University and its services
What will you gain from this role?
- Interacting with various staff at Western International and campus partners
- Contribute to fostering a welcoming environment for new incoming international students before they arrive.
- Enhance communication skills in a cross-cultural setting
- A great learning experience! Enhance your global perspectives at Western through cross-cultural exchange!
- An opportunity to develop international connections: friendships with international students and other student leaders
- Letter of recommendation available upon request
- Recognition through Western’s Co-Curricular Record
- Volunteer hours may count towards the Global Experience category of Western's Global & Intercultural Engagement Honour