Immigration & Travel Information
Immigration documents and eligibility to travel
Western's COVID-19 Readiness plan was approved by the Ontario government on November 20, 2020, allowing eligible international students to travel to Canada to attend Western.
If you are an international student who is currently outside of Canada, and you have a valid study permit or have been approved for a study permit, you may be able to enter Canada to study, provided you meet specific requirements, develop and register a safe 14-day quarantine plan, and follow all other travel and testing requirements.
For more information about the steps you should take to complete your journey to Canada please visit our Steps to Travel to Canada page.
Travel Tool Kit from the Government of Canada
The Government of Canada has improved the accessibility of information for international travellers arriving in Canada in this Travel Tool Kit. See the tool kit for detailed information on arrival by land or air, quarantine requirements, COVID-19 testing requirements, and exemptions for vaccinated travellers.
Before you travel
Students must plan the most direct travel possible to London, with minimal stops or route changes. Please plan flights accordingly.
Before travelling to Canada, it is mandatory that you download the ArriveCAN app and enter your travel and contact information, quarantine plan, COVID-19 symptom assessment and, if applicable, proof of your COVID-19 vaccination prior to boarding your flight or approaching a land border. A border services officer will request to see your ArriveCAN receipt.
Students must bring a valid study permit or a port of entry letter of introduction that shows that you were approved for a study permit.
At the airport, airline officials will require you to present your negative COVID-19 test prior to boarding.
Even with a quarantine plan, before travelling it is recommended that you contact the Border Information Service for more information.
A Border Services officer will make a final decision on your eligibility to enter Canada at the port of entry.
In addition, it is mandatory that you register a Travel & Quarantine Plan with Western prior to your arrival in Canada.
It is mandatory to file your quarantine plan through the ArriveCAN app. However, you may wish to print out and carry with you important details of your quarantine plan such as transportation information, address of quarantine location, plan for food and other essentials, and how you will meet all the requirements of quarantine so that you can reference this information when talking with a Canada Border Services officer.
Please note that some items listed below require time to obtain. Be sure to request them as soon as possible to have them in time for travel.
As always, we recommend students travel with the following items on their person (not in checked luggage):
- Valid Passport and Canadian Temporary Resident Visa and/or an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) (if applicable)
- Negative COVID-19 test at least 72 hours in advance
- Study Permit OR Letter of Introduction issued by the Canadian Visa Office that approved your Study Permit
- Your original letter of acceptance from Western if you are entering Canada the first time
- Verification of Enrolment letter, if you studied online before entering Canada or you are re-entering Canada. Request and download a PDF letter from the Office of the Registrar in Student Center.
- Check that your medical exam (if required) is still valid prior to travelling to Canada
- Proof of funds
- Supporting documents
- Medical and immunization (vaccination) records, prescriptions and medications
- Money and a credit card that works in Canada (note: you will not be able to set up bank accounts or credit cards while in quarantine, so it's important you have a means of paying for essential needs such as medications and food)
- List of important phone numbers
Travelling to Canada by air:
You must take the most direct transportation from your port of entry to your quarantine location, with no planned or unplanned stops. Students are not permitted to take public transportation. Please see the transportation page for travel options from Toronto Pearson Airport and London International Airport.
Western and Air Canada Air Travel Partnership
Western has partnered with Air Canada to offer a 15% discount on air travel for international flights for students coming from abroad to Canada! This partnership with Air Canada will help make travel more affordable for international students. To learn more and for directions on how to receive 15% off of your flight please visit the information page here.
Travellers entering Canada by land:
- Consult the latest information from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Visit the COVID-19 FAQ page for international students for further information on immigration and travel.
- You may also book an appointment with one of our Immigration Advisors or contact our team for assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.