International Arrival 2020-2021
Welcome. This website is for new or returning students arriving from outside of Canada to study at Western University.
Effective immediately, all Western University, Brescia, Huron and King's University College students arriving from outside of Canada (including international students and Canadian citizens) are required to complete a 14-day quarantine and must register their quarantine plan with Western prior to arrival in Canada.
Government regulations require that all students travelling to Ontario from abroad be tested for COVID-19 prior to coming to Canada and after their quarantine period ends:
- All students travelling to Canada from abroad are required by the Ontario government to be tested for COVID-19 at the end of their quarantine period.
- In addition, as of January 7, 2021, all international travellers are also required to test negative for COVID-19 before travelling from another country to Canada.
Documentation of a negative laboratory test result must be presented to the airline prior to boarding a flight to Canada. The test must be performed using a COVID-19 molecular polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test and must be taken within 72 hours prior to the traveller’s scheduled departure to Canada.
Please note that the new COVID-19 tests now available at Pearson Airport for inbound international travellers do not replace the required negative COVID-19 PCR tests and are voluntary. Inbound international travellers can register to participate in the program at torontopearson.com/testing.
Please register your quarantine plan as soon as possible, but only after you have confirmed your travel arrangements and accommodations.
Steps for students travelling to Canada
- Ensure that you are eligible to travel to Canada.
- Carefully review the requirements for quarantine set forth under the Quarantine Act.
- Review “Are your accommodations acceptable?”
- Book your quarantine accommodations.
- Book transportation from the airport.
- Register your Quarantine Plan
- Download the ArriveCAN app and enter your travel and contact information, quarantine plan and COVID-19 symptom assessment.
- Take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of your departure and present the negative test result to the airline prior to boarding your flight. (NEW AS OF DEC. 31)
- Use ArriveCAN to confirm you have arrived at your quarantine location within 48 hours of your entry to Canada and to complete daily COVID-19 symptom self-assessments.
- Upon completion of quarantine, obtain a COVID-19 test.
Note: As of November 17, Western's COVID-19 readiness plan is approved. Travel is possible for eligible international students, provided they meet specific requirements and develop a 14-day quarantine plan. Review Government of Canada travel exemptions and restrictions.
We strongly encourage all students, and particularly newly arriving students, to book Western-arranged quarantine accommodations. The cost is $100 per day including meal service.* See details on our FAQ page.
If students choose to stay in their own housing or self-arranged quarantine accommodations, they must acknowledge and confirm accommodations meet Government of Canada requirements under the Quarantine Act.
If you need financial assistance for quarantine costs, apply for the International Student Bursary, open to undergraduate and graduate students for Fall 2020 and Winter 2021.APPLY FOR BURSARY
Middlesex-London Health Unit
*Conditions apply. Please see the Quarantine Accommodations FAQ page for details.