At the Airport

Arriving at the Canadian Port of Entry (Border)

1. Obtain a Study Permit

When you arrive at a Canadian port of entry such as the Toronto Pearson International Airport, you must present yourself to Canadian Immigration (usually before collecting your luggage). Tell the immigration officer that you are coming to Canada to study. You will be asked for documentation, such as the Letter of Introduction (given to you by the Canadian Visa Office when you applied for your Study Permit) and your letter of acceptance from Western. After the officer processes your information, he/she will give you a Study Permit (a piece of paper that is often stapled to your passport). When you get a chance, write down the expiry date of your Study Permit so that you will remember to renew it two to three months before it expires.

Note: Do not leave the airport or border until you have a Study Permit issued by an immigration officer.

2. Declare Your Personal Items

Review current Canadian customs regulations before arriving in Canada.

Prepare a list of all the goods you are bringing into Canada (e.g., clothing, electronics, etc.) including vehicles. Be prepared to show your list to the Canada Border Services Agent at the Canadian Port of Entry. Make two copies of the list. If you have a vehicle, include its value, make, model and serial numbers. You can bring in other non-consumable goods (e.g., clothing, electronics, etc.) after your initial arrival, but you must report these goods to the Canada Border Services Agency. They will require a refundable deposit.

For more detailed information on which goods you can legally bring into Canada, refer to the 'Entering Canada to Study' section of the online brochure Visitors to Canada and Other Temporary Residents provided by the Canada Border Services Agency.

3. Transportation

Getting to London

The airport bus service below from Toronto is often less expensive than flying into London. This company offers discounted student rates; bring proof of student status like a student card or letter of acceptance. Reservations are required. You can also catch a Greyhound bus from Pearson International Airport.

Robert Q Airbus
Telephone: 1-800-265-4948 (free from Canada & U.S.)

Robert Q is located in terminals 1 and 3 at the ground transportation desk.

More information on transportation to London and Western

Take #TheRightRide

Upon arrival at Toronto Pearson, beware of drivers who solicit passengers inside the terminals. Also known as scoopers, these are unlicensed taxis and limos picking up passengers at the terminals and charging more than the regulated rates. Scoopers are often untrained and hold no commercial insurance.

Look for signage throughout the airport to identify verified transportation services with: taxis, limos, UP Express, TTC, MiWay, Brampton Transit, Uber and Lyft. You may also find the right ride in advance at:

If you are unsure, please call 416-247-7678, visit an information booth or ask an employee for assistance.