Driving in Ontario

If you plan to drive a car in Ontario, you should obtain an Ontario Driver's Licence. If you already have a licence from another country, or an international driver's licence, you may use this for up to 60 days within your arrival to the province. After this time, an Ontario Driver's Licence is required.

Foreign Licence Applications

If you already hold a driving licence in another country, you may be eligible for a licence exchange or foreign licence experience credits. Learn more about foreign licence exchange applications. 

Car Insurance

In Ontario, if you own a vehicle, you are responsible for ensuring it is insured and registered with the Ministry of Transportation. In Ontario, vehicle owners purchase car insurance from private companies. Insurance policies are renewed annually and can be paid monthly or annually.

TIP: Taking a driver training course will reduce the cost of your car insurance.

Renting a Car

Most car rental companies require you to be 21 to 25 years of age or older to rent a car. Ask the the company about the approximate cost of your trip before you leave and if they offer a flat rate or discounts.


Carsharing is a great way to save money while having access to a vehicle.

Important: Impaired Driving and Hand-Held Devices

Driving while your judgement is impaired by drugs or alcohol is a crime in Canada. Individuals convicted of impaired driving can lose their licence, be fined or go to jail.

In Ontario, it is illegal for drivers to talk, text, type, dial or email using hand-held devices, including cell phones. Hands-free devices are permitted but must be securely fastened in the vehicle.