International Student Work Opportunities Program
Note: If you are an employer, please visit the ISWOP for Employers section.
The International Student Work Opportunities Program (ISWOP) is a work study program for international undergraduate (main campus degree) students designed to provide financial assistance through paid part-time employment on the campus.
Note: Only Work Study positions offered this term will be those that can be completed remotely.
The program provides international undergraduate students with the opportunity to:
- gain and enhance skills
- obtain work experience in a Canadian context
- engage with the campus community
- enhance their experience of studying and living in Canada
Eligibility Criteria - Summer 2021
To be considered for the International Student Work Opportunities Program (ISWOP), international undergraduate (main campus degree) students must meet the program requirements listed below.
For a student to be eligible to apply to the International Student Work Opportunities Program, they:
- must be an undergraduate International Student (Canadian citizens, permanent residents, exchange students and graduate international students are not eligible)
- must demonstrate financial need
- must have a valid Study Permit
- must be registered in one full time summer course
- must be registered on Main Campus (students registered at an affiliate university college are not eligible for ISWOP, but may be eligible for a similar program, scroll to the bottom of this page for details)
- must have completed at least 2 full semesters of study at Western (i.e., should be in second year or above)
- must be in good academic standing
Meeting the eligibility requirements is not a guarantee of employment. Students approved to participate in ISWOP must pursue job postings, compete with other students, meet minimum job requirements, attend interviews and receive an offer of employment to get a job.
Number of ISWOP Positions
50 positions for the summer term.
Compensation and Time Frame
The rate of pay is $14.25 per hour + 4% vacation pay. The maximum allocation for each student is 300 hours. Participants must complete their work hours by August 31st, 2021. Students cannot carry work hours forward to the fall/winter term.
How to Apply
- Determine your eligibility.
All interested students must ensure they meet the eligibility criteria (see above). Only those applicants who meet the eligibility criteria will be considered.
- Complete the ISWOP online application form.
The ISWOP Application Form is available as of April 30th, 2021, on Student Center.
To log onto Student Services, you will need your student number and password. Once you have logged on, click on "Financial Assistance" on the bottom right menu and then select ISWOP.
- Photocopy of your current Study Permit
- Proof of your bank balance from Feb 1 - present (acceptable documentation include photocopies of actual bank statements or online statements showing ALL banking transactions and how living expenses and tuition are paid. If your bank statements do not show your expenses, please include additional documents (e.g., credit card statements) or explanation of expense items).
COMPLETED APPLICATIONS: All supporting documentation should be submitted using the secure online DocDrop. You must use a pdf file format to upload your documents. Please select the ISWOP document type when uploading your application.
NOTE: Please ensure that every page of the documents submitted includes your Western Student Number.
The application deadline for online application AND submission of supporting documentation is May 14, 2021.
IMPORTANT: Incomplete applications will not be considered. All requested supporting documentation must be included with the application by the application deadline.
Notice of Approval
ISWOP participants will be assessed and selected by the Student Financial Services department. All ISWOP applicants will receive email communication from Student Financial Services within two weeks of the deadline date informing them whether their application has been approved or denied. Applicants can also check their account to view the decision on their ISWOP application.
Candidates approved to participate in ISWOP will be granted access to the on-line Work Study campus job listing which contains postings of various jobs in the different departments across campus.
Approval does not mean you have a job. Students approved to ISWOP must investigate and pursue available job postings and compete with other students. They must meet minimum job requirements, be interviewed and be hired for a job
If you are accepted to ISWOP, you must have a resume in order to begin your job search. For help with creating or updating a resume, please visit Student Experience.
Social Insurance Number
You must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) in order to work and receive payment for work in Canada .
Students Registered at an Affiliate University College
- Brescia University College's Work Study for International Students and Students from other Canadian Provinces
- King's University College's International Work Experience Program
- Huron University College does not currently offer a Work Study Program for International Students. Learn about other employment opportunities