University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health insurance plan for all international students, employees and their dependents (spouse and/or children) at Western University who are not covered by the provincial health insurance plan (OHIP).

The cost of medical services and treatment in Ontario can be very expensive. UHIP was created to offer affordable insurance to pay the host of hospital and medical services that you and your family might need to maintain your health while at Western.

UHIP Enrolment

All international students enrolled at Western University are automatically enrolled in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) which is your basic health insurance plan. In addition, full-time students are also enrolled in an extended health insurance plan through the USC (undergraduate students) or SOGS (graduate students), which covers some medical expenses related to prescriptions, physiotherapy, dentist, eye care, etc. International students are required to be enrolled in both health plans, unless they have an approved equivalent plan.

International students are automatically enrolled in UHIP. New and current international students will be automatically enrolled in UHIP for the twelve month period from September 1 to August 31 of the current academic year. Exchange students will be automatically enrolled in UHIP for the duration of your exchange program at Western.

The current UHIP fees will be included in your tuition fee bill (Statement of Account). You should confirm that the correct premiums have been charged to your tuition account. Exchange students will be required to pay certain fees, including UHIP.

If you are an international or exchange student who will not be living in Ontario, UHIP is not required. An email will be sent beginning in July asking students to declare their residence status. UHIP fees can be waived/cancelled if students are not in Ontario. Please note you must reply before the deadline date included in the email to have your fees cancelled. 

If you are not an international or exchange student:

Students who are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents are currently eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) immediately upon arrival in Ontario. 

There is no longer a waiting period for OHIP coverage. If you are eligible, you will have immediate health insurance coverage. Find out if you qualify.  

To apply for OHIP you will need to visit a  Service Ontario Centre. You will also need to have a number of documents with you to prove your eligibility for OHIP. Please refer to the Service Ontario website for a list of required documents and the application form.

Enrolment Period

As an International student, once you have registered for your courses, you are automatically enrolled in UHIP. Undergraduate students will be enrolled for the twelve month period (September 1 to August 31) of the current academic year. Graduate students will be enrolled per term or every four months.

Exchange students will be enrolled in UHIP for the duration in which they will be attending Western.

UHIP Enrolment for Dependents

Dependents travelling with you to Ontario are also required to have UHIP upon arrival. Eligible dependents include spouses, common-law and same-sex partners, and dependent children who are under 21 years of age or under 25 and are registered in full time studies. Visit UHIP for more information.

To apply for UHIP for your dependents, send an email to Janis Kramer at with the following information:

a. Your student number
b. Copies of the passport page of your dependents
c. Proof of arrival date of your dependents (plane ticket or boarding pass)

NOTE: Dependents must be enrolled in UHIP within 30 days of their arrival date to avoid a late fee of $500.

UHIP fees for dependents will be added to your tuition account.


Sept. 1, 2023 to Aug. 31, 2024 Monthly Per Term Annual
For the student $63.00 $252.00 $756.00
For one dependent $63.00 $252.00 $756.00
For two or more dependents $126.00 $504.00 $1,512.00

UHIP Begin Date

Your UHIP coverage is effective September 1, 2023. If you arriving in Canada before this date, UHIP can be
adjusted to your arrival date but not earlier than August 10, 2023. This also applies to dependents.

For example:

Arrival in Canada August 5, 2023
Start of academic term September 1, 2023
Start of UHIP coverage August 10, 2023

If you arrive between August 10 - 31, 2023 and you need to see a doctor before receiving your UHIP card, pay for the doctor's fee then submit a claim after you receive the card. In case of an emergency, go to the nearest hospital and let them know you are waiting for your UHIP card. Provide a copy of your UHIP card to the hospital as soon as you receive it.

Printing your UHIP Card

Close to the start of the term your UHIP card to your Western email address. Make sure to activate your Western email as early as you can in order to receive the email. Each time you visit a health care or medical service provider you will be required to show your UHIP card. It is very important that you print your UHIP card as soon as you receive the email and carry a copy with you in case of a medical emergency.

What's my UHIP number?

As mentioned above, SunLife will email your UHIP card for you and any dependents to your Western email account. Print a copy of the card or keep picture of it on your phone to have available if you need to seek medical care. You will be required to show it when you go to see a doctor. 

If you are unable to find your card or don't have it with you, here is an easy way to find your number.

WO+(your student number)
example: WO123456789
(note the 'O' in 2nd position is not a zero)

UHIP Exemption

UHIP is mandatory unless you are provided with an exemption. Requirements for exemption are:
a. You have OHIP
b. You have diplomatic status
c. You are covered under one of the pre-approved plans listed at 
d. Your government is paying for your education, living expenses and had purchased a health care
policy for you that is at least equal to UHIP

If you meet any of the requirements, apply for UHIP exemption within 45 dates from UHIP start date.

To apply for exemption, send an email to Janis Kramer at and attach:
a. Proof of coverage stating your name, name of insurance plan, start and end dates of coverage
b. Specific plan policy details that includes what is covered, deductibles, exclusions

These must be in English as your plan will be reviewed against UHIP. Exemption applications received
after 45 days will be automatically declined.

UHIP Coverage

For more information on the coverage, please see, click on Your Coverage then Plan Details.

UHIP Claims

UHIP is moving from Sun Life to Manulife/Cowan effective September 1, 2022. This change impacts the Claims process. Please take note of these changes outline below.

For students enrolled between September 1, 2021 and August 31, 2022 and have claims incurred during this period:

  • The UHIP certificate number is required to submit claims. If the wrong number is used the claim will be declined.
  • For the student: UHIP number are the letters WO followed by the Western ID card number.
  • For dependents: In most cases the UHIP number are the letters DP followed by the student's Western ID card number.
  • See on how to submit a claim.

For students enrolled starting September 1, 2022 and have claims incurred from August 10, 2022 and onward: 

  • The UHIP certificate number is required to submit claims.
  • A guide to submit claims will be provided closer to September 1.


If you have any questions regarding your UHIP coverage, or for information regarding funds, please visit the UHIP website. There you will find specific details of the plan and any forms you may need (claims, exemptions, refunds, etc.). If you have any questions please contact:

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

Human Resources

To learn more about UHIP, please visit the following pages:


UHIP Extensions

International students may extend the coverage after the last period of academic study. This normally occurs when a student wishes to stay in Ontario past their academic term for travel or graduation purposes only. Applications for extension must be submitted before the end of the term to Human Resources.

Navigate Health Care & Wellness