Weather in CanadaOur four seasons—Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer—bring very different types of weather! Please make sure to bring clothing that is appropriate for each season or plan to buy clothing as needed.
- Officially begins: September
- Recommended items: sweaters, pants, a light coat or lined jacket, a raincoat, waterproof footwear, an umbrella.
In the fall, leaves turn from green to beautiful oranges, yellows and reds before they fall off the trees. September is often warm and sunny like the summer but the season becomes gradually more cool and rainy. In some years, snow arrives towards the end of the fall.
- Officially begins: December
- Recommended items: a warm coat that is water and wind resistant, warm water-resistant boots, mittens or gloves, a scarf, a warm hat.
- TIP: Consider purchasing winter items in London to ensure they are appropriate for the weather here.
- Information on shopping for winter clothing: Winter Stores, Winter Clothing Checklist, Winter Clothing Ideas and Enjoying Winter Guidelines
- Visit the Winter Clothing Display at IESC in October and pick up useful handouts as you prepare for winter shopping. The centre will be open Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm.
Although winter officially begins in December, snow can arrive as early as October and can last until April. In January and February, the coldest months, the temperature typically ranges between -2°C and -10°C with an average of -6°C. Wind can lower the temperature considerably (this is called ‘wind chill’). If you have questions about the winter season, contact us at IESC! We will share tips to help you enjoy the winter and point you in the right direction if you are looking for winter clothing.
- Officially begins: March
- Recommended items (same as fall): sweaters, pants, a light coat or lined jacket, a raincoat, waterproof footwear, an umbrella.
- Officially begins: June
- Recommended items: shorts, t-shirts, sandals, a bathing suit, sunscreen.
Summer brings warm, sunny days with temperatures ranging from 20°C to 35°C.